Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Philipians 4:8…—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

The TCP Scottsdale, AZ at www.tpc.com is such an excellent course to think upon. TCP Scottsdale is the course where the Waste Management Open is played. Any golfer can play this course, as it is open to the public. The day I played September 30, 2013 was perfect short wearing weather.

I arrived later in the afternoon at 1:30. I enjoyed the higher view from the clubhouse that gave an open view of the starting tee’s below. The mountains seemed to behave like a frame as in a photo. The people who worked there were kind and happy to serve the golfers. 

As I waited at the 10th tee to start that day, I welcomed the threesome that I was supposed to play with. However, their grandfather faces contorted and winced at the site of me waiting to play. The threesome who I now call the 3 Billy Goats clicked together like high school jocks that would be upset at a new kid coming to play. I watched those older men turn their carts around to tell the pro-shop they did not want to play with me. This was my first lesson learned at TCP Scottsdale. You must have $100 to play at twilight but good character is optional. (SMILE)

The staff at TCP was helpful in making me feel welcomed and placed me with two Manhattan golfers. Over the next four hours we would find that we were equally matched and all enjoyed the game and the course.

The tee boxes were immaculate, level and all the grass was cut perfectly.  The greens were like “ice” according to the Manhattan golfers. The fairways were wide but eye tricking with fades to the sides, which could mean trouble. I soon noticed, possibly do to the dry weather and tightly short cut grass, my approach shots would bounce on the front of the green and roll to the back quite regularly. When approaching the greens, they looked wide and welcoming. The back of the greens looked almost designed short looking back. The greens gave the golfer the illusion of a lot of green to work with. When in fact depending on the pin location, there was often not a lot of green to keep your ball on if it had a good roll.

Hole 15 is the most talked about hole with a water Island for the green. It is a par 5. I could not resist the greedy temptation of getting on the green in 2, landing my ball in the moat of water. It was a ball worth losing. I did par six holes and birdie one but with two holes of lost balls I landed myself a score of 90 for my first time of playing TCP Scottsdale.

This course is easily my favorite course I’ve played so far. I recommend playing this course even if there are a few “Goats” out there. J

Sunset Hole 9 TCP Scottsdale, AZ



No comments:

Post a Comment