Sunday, October 20, 2013

Italy in October

Golf Club Castello La Bastardina


My first Italian golf experience was at
Golf Club Castello La Bastardina in Strada Bastardina, (Piacenza) Italy. It’s only 20 minutes drive from the New Amazon Fulfillment Center in Piacenza, Italy. It reminded me of a Montana golf course that was tucked into farmland between villages. Driving and playing there would prove to be a good adventure.

The global position of Piacenza, Italy is 45.0500º N, 9.7000º E and the global position of the Little Snowy Mountains in Montana is 46.7575º N, 109.1599º W. The similarities of the terrain made me feel quite at home as I spent many summers as a child in this same type of climate in Montana.

Driving the twisting roads to Golf Club Bastardina was a little tricky as the two-lane road in most places was faintly marked and shoulders small. The driving adventure was as much charming as adventurous. Chickens, horses, dogs and farm cats did not notice my lonely rental car passing bye. Contemplating what the hotel clerk told me that I might get lost finding the course I was relieved to see a newly placed golf sign at a “y” in the road. There was even a quaint little church; well I think it was a church? 


Golf Club Bastardina was a friendly open to the public golf club with dinning and a bed and breakfast. It boasted of a Castle with a moat inside of its golf course. The clerk at my hotel also told me the golfing management wanted me to know the course was playable but “under maintained” at the moment. I wondered on that statement?


“Fantastic Fun” would have been a better choice for the clerk at my hotel to tell me. Even with the “under maintained” holes, playing the course was still challenging and enjoyable. The bees and I were the only ones on the course that morning. The hilly holes, twists and turns and variety of holes made for fun play. Wild sage, lavender and mint aromas of the grounds were lovely. I would play and bring my fellow friends to golf at Golf Club Castello La Bastardina in Strada Bastardina.

Narrow Par 3
Par 3 on Top/ Bellow and far Par 4

No comments:

Post a Comment